Wednesday, June 17, 2009

ASM '09

The Alabama Soap and Candle Association held it's 11th Annual Soap Meeting in Prattville, AL. I'm so glad that I took the chance and went without ever having been before. A big leap for me. This group is made up of fabulous soap and candle makers who were friendly,sharing, and knowledgeable of their art. It was a busy two days full of demos, shopping,mingling and some good food. Our keynote speaker, Kelly Bloom gave an informative speech about reaching a point in your small business where having a product that needs to be branded and trademarked well before it is on the market. A small business that is trying to create an image for their product needs to make sure no one has created a brand or logo with what is in your company's line. She explained how to save yourself from a costly disaster by checking your brand whether it be through Google searches or through a government ran website like www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm. Kelly stressed how important brand identity is as well as it must be unique and of your own in that it creates a mental image or feeling for the consumer. Later,Carol Barber went on to give crucial FDA information that lays the foundation for guidelines that as a soap maker,a small body care business needs to adhere to when selling to the public. All the demos performed had me eager to try them. The door prizes where great.Yes,Lady Luck even shined on me.I won this great soap mold made by Cumberland Acoustic that has me wanting to make some round soaps! The vendors all knew their stuff too. I will be going back as long as they allow me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment